View Weekly Committee Calendars
- Commerce and Labor
- Responsible for legislation concerning commerce, insurance, and agriculture. The Committee also has jurisdiction over legislation concerning banking and lending institutions; communications; regulation and licensing of occupations; protections of trade and commerce against unlawful restraints and monopolies; corporations; labor and industrial relations; consumer affairs and consumer protection; and unemployment compensation. More »
- Responsible for legislation concerning schools and secondary education; school employees, administrators, teachers and bus drivers; school employees' and teachers' pay and retirement, except where an appropriation of state funds is required; colleges and universities; employees of colleges and universities, including pay and retirement, except where an appropriation of state funds is required; vocational technical education; employees of vocational education -- schools, including pay and retirement, except where an appropriation of state funds is required; college or university agricultural extension service; school lunch program; education and schools for exceptional children; cultural affairs; museums; and state and public libraries. More »
- Energy, Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Responsible for legislation concerning energy; forestry; natural resources; conservation, game and fish, mines and minerals. Additionally, the Committee is also responsible for legislation regarding matters relating to pollution of air, water and land; parks and recreations; state parks and recreational districts; mineral resources of public lands; public and geological surveys, accretion, alluvium, and dereliction of public and private lands; watershed districts; soil conservation; soil conservation districts; flood and drainage projects; construction, improvement and maintenance of waterways, lakes and streams; registering and licensing of vessels and small boats; tourism; military parks and battlefields; and environment. More »
- Finance, Ways and Means
- Responsible for all measures relating to taxes and the raising of revenue; all measures relating to bonds and the bonding of revenue; all measures relating to the issuance, payment or retirement of bonds; all measures related to the evidences of indebtedness; all measures dealing with the appropriation of state funds; the general appropriations bill; the deposit of public monies; Congressional relations; and assessment and collection of property taxes. More »
- Government Operations
- Responsible for legislation concerning the creation of new departments, commissions, boards, agencies or councils of state government; the reauthorization of existing departments, commissions, boards, agencies or councils of state government; licensing and/or certification of occupational and/or professional groups; and review of regulations promulgated by Tennessee departments, commissions, boards or agencies More »
- Health and Welfare
- Responsible for public or private hospitals; health offices and their administration; institutions and services for the mentally retarded; mental health institutions and facilities; geriatric hospitals; nursing homes; vocational rehabilitation including vocation rehabilitation homes; alcoholic rehabilitation; Department of Health; tuberculosis sanatoriums; nurses training programs; public welfare; old age assistance; private and local institutions of public welfare; and research training and rehabilitation in the field of public welfare. More »
- Responsible for civil laws; criminal laws; judicial proceedings; apportionment of elected officials and governing bodies; executors, administrators, wills and divorce and other family matters; all matters relating to the courts, matters of court jurisdiction, and matters relating to judges, including retirement, compensation, expenses, personnel, facilities, etc.; municipal and juvenile courts and justices of the peace; clerks of court, and sheriffs and law enforcement officers; and all other matters not covered by any other standing committee. More »
- State & Local Government
- Responsible for forms of local government; utility districts; assistance to local and municipal governments; matters dealing with revenue and taxation levied by local governments; matters dealing with employees of local governments; matters dealing with expenditure by local governments; matters dealing with local ordinances; state and local government boundary lines; veterans affairs; penal and correctional institutions; public lands; preservation of historical landmarks and objects; holidays and celebrations; regulation of sale of intoxicating liquors; Adjutant General and National Guard; election laws; and state government in general. More »
- Transportation and Safety
- Responsible for highways, roads and bridges; railroads; air, bus and vehicular transportation; rules and regulations for highway, railroad, and air use; common carriers, except by water; pipelines; motor vehicle regulations; public works; facilities in connection with and navigation of waterways, lakes and streams; and the Department of Safety. More »
- Responsible for scheduling bills and resolutions for consideration
by the Senate.
- Delayed Bills
Responsible for initial consideration of resolutions calling for joint conventions and study committees and late filed bills and resolutions.
- Responsible for enforcement of the Senate Code of Ethics and recommends modification of the Code of Ethics to the Senate Rules Committee.
- Responsible for recommending modification of the Senate Rules to the Senate.